Directors: Catarina Fidalgo | Paulo Roquete | Susana Ourô
COLORECTAL CANCER SESSION
Colorectal cancer is one of the most prevalent neoplasms in Portugal, with an estimated incidence of 8000 cases per year and a mortality rate of about 4000 cases per year. It has been shown that a multidisciplinary approach is the best strategy to optimize therapeutic success, so it is ever more imperative to concentrate the treatment of this pathology in specialized and certified reference centres.
The adoption of structured protocols, supported by the most up-to-date diagnostic and staging methods, by neoadjuvant and adjuvant therapies with clear demonstration of results, and by less invasive surgical techniques, allows to maximize the survival and quality of life of colorectal cancer patients.
In this context, the Leaping Forward Oncology session dedicated to colorectal cancer addresses the most current issues concerning the pathology, namely:
- Advances in the field of tumor biology, specifically molecular biomarkers and familial syndromes, as well as prognostic factors
- More effective, safe and appropriate diagnostic, staging and treatment methods for each pathology
- Evolution of neoadjuvant therapeutic options and new possible procedures
- Advances in surgical techniques for the treatment of colon and rectal cancer, with special emphasis on minimally invasive and transanal surgery
- Strategies in advanced and relapsing disease